By request from my class participants this morning, here is a nut-free granola bar recipe. You can keep it naked and virtuous, or you can cover it with chocolate (as I tend to do).
(makes 1 tray)
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
! cup pumpkin seeds, soaked
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 figs, soaked
1 cup date paste (see below)
1. Put seeds into a food processor and pulse until broken up, but still crunchy
2. Transfer seeds to a mixing bowl and add date paste. Mix thoroughly
3. Spread this mixture on a non-stick sheet, about 1/4 inch thick
4. Dehydrate for 5 hours, peel sheet off, and continue dehydrating for another 6 hours until crisp
5. Cut into whatever sized squares/rectangles you like. If covering with chocolate, spread a coating over the top before cutting, and leave to set in the fridge (1/2 hour).
For date paste
8 medjool dates
1 cup water
Soak dates & figs in water for 1 hour
Bend everything together until smooth
For chocolate coating
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup honey (or sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup cacao or carob powder
pinch of salt
Stir everything together until silky smooth.
Will keep in a cool place for 2 weeks.