Gingered Apple Crumble
1 large apple (or 2 small), diced
1 tsp lemon juice
1 dtsp honey/coconut nectar/molasses sugar
1 knob fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup walnuts/pecans/hazelnuts
2 large medjool dates, pitted*
1/3 tsp cinnamon or cardamon
Pinch of salt
Garnish with: seasonal berries (optional)
- Put diced apples into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, sweetener and grated ginger. Mix and leave to marinate for 30 – 60 mins. A light syrup will develop and the apples will soften nicely.
- Put everything else into a food processor and pulse to break down gradually so that you have a tacky, yet crumbly mass
- Transfer your apples into a single serving dish (or divide into individual serving dessert bowls). Top with the crumble mix
- Decorate with seasonal berries, if you have them
A mix of apples and pears works well with this recipe – in fact the crumble goes well with all sorts of fruit mixes, so do experiment. Alternatively, turn the crumble in to a snack: roll up a teaspoon into small bite-sized balls and pop them in your lunch-box.
* If using dried dates, use about 4 and soak them first to soften
There are oodles of ways to include apples in your food. If you like this series of recipes, there’s more. Until the end of October, you can download my ‘Apples Galore’ recipe collection for FREE.
That’s 12 luscious apple recipes for breakfast, lunch, or evening, including snacks and drinks. Just leave your email address here. In the subject line, type: Apple Recipes. I’ll send you the collection right away.